Thursday, June 2, 2022

Discussion #3 Annmarie At the Uffizi Gallery

 It was around four flights of stairs to get to the Uffizi Gallery. As tiring as it sounds, and believe me, my legs were melting into the staircase, the hike was more than worth it. Immediately, we entered a hall of shoulder-up sculptures. In each corner, there was a centerpiece of a much bigger sculpture.  My personal favorite was two dogs on each side of the first entrance. The artist, who was unfortunately lost in time, truly captured the eager but loyal man's best friend. 

Once inside, each corridor was separated by the individual artists. I can't help my tourist nature at times and originally my favorite was the Birth of Venus. Once I saw Botticelli's name, I knew it was time to be on the lookout. To my surprise, the painting was huge! It covered the entire wall the piece was displayed on. The lighting of the room really helped to highlight the color scheme Botticelli selected. Ocean blues and sea greens complimented Venus and others so wonderfully. The golden frame was the icing on top of the whole viewing experience.

My one of favorite paintings, of all time, is  Judith Beheading Holofernes. To my surprise, the painting was housed in the Uffizi. As soon as I saw it around the corner, I was taken aback in awe. Reading 1.99m by 1.62m dimensions online versus seeing the image in person was a mind-blowing experience. The detail level was amazing and meticulous. I could see up close the emotion involved in each character. When I closed my eyes, I felt myself inside the scene. I could smell the blood splattering, and I could hear the probable screams involved. I hope everyone feels the same way about an art piece as I do with this particular one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Class Discussion #2 - Nija Simmons

Capri was one of the most beautiful islands. I enjoyed listening to the sound of ocean waves. The water was turquoise and clear. I went swim...