Thursday, June 23, 2022

Discussion 4 @ Galleria Accademia

The process in which art is created may be overlooked, but it remains a thing arguably as interesting as the art itself. For me, it can be hard to imagine how canvass and oil paints or stone and chisel can become a magnificent painting or sculpture but seeing Michelangelo's unfinished sculptures allowed me to understand the process and the art itself more fully.

The unfinished works illustrated to me the idea that sculptors pull something latent out of the material in front of them. The half-formed bodies trying to escape from the blocks of marble allowed me to realize how Michelangelo pulled his vision out of a mere piece of stone. Having a better picture of the creative process of sculpting also allowed me to have a fuller appreciation for the art itself. I was able to better appreciate the intricate details of each statue, particularly the emotion that had somehow been displayed through the stone. Each sculpture became more than simply that, but rather seemed like a moment out of a story that played out in my head. I like to think that the artist had more to the story than the simple moment that may be depicted in a work of art, thus allowing me to interpret the rest of the story both for myself and as the artist may have envisioned it. The emotions of the statues really added a lot to the storytelling aspect of this artistic medium for me as I was able to feel character within the person or animal depicted within the sculpture. I gained a new appreciation for the various mediums of storytelling through art from my viewing experience at the Galleria Accademia. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Class Discussion #2 - Nija Simmons

Capri was one of the most beautiful islands. I enjoyed listening to the sound of ocean waves. The water was turquoise and clear. I went swim...