Saturday, June 18, 2022

Ancient Rome on 5 Denarii a Day

1.  "All the baths have a changing room(apodyterium), heated by a warm bath, a warm bath (tepidarium), A hot room with hot air and hot baths (caldarium), and a room with a refreshing cold plunge bath (frigidarium)" (Pg 124) 


I had to do my on-site presentation of roman baths and it was so nice to take pictures of where the baths were located and the areas connected to them. I felt like it made the presentation more interesting and being able to see it was better than the pictures I took, in my opinion. 

2. "Landlords will be happy to rent rooms by the month, the week, or even for requirements of a particular nature by the hour. " (Pg 31) 




Halfway through the trip, I ended up getting covid and I had to move from my hotel room to an apartment building near the Vatican. I was there for two weeks but I was so grateful for the things people got me to keep me busy during my time alone. But also for the people who texted me and my sister who took me on a virtual tour at Walmart from the USA. 

3. "Shopping in the capital of the world, is a hit or miss affair" (pg 63) 




I have to agree with this statement as some things were a steal to buy like food, water, and some small keychains but some eating places could even be a miss, but even if I felt like I could have eaten at cheaper places, sometimes it was worth the money to eat the amazing Italian food. 

4. Where are you going to stay? How will you pay? what types of transport is available? (pg 6)

While in Rome the way to travel was by bus mostly to go anywhere exciting or to do things like clean clothing. we even had to take a tram and trains to get to other cities as we didn't have cars to take us. 

5. staying in rome is not cheap, and the jounrey itself is not cheap. (pg 6)


To me these are the dishes that cost me alot. it was a peruvian dish and the other was a stake with potatos. sometimes I could not find places to eat that were cheap so I had to eat at places that werre expensive and sometimes I don't know if it was worth it but you got to eat. 

6. take your own provisions for the journey (pg 7) 


From the beginning of the trip we were always told to have water with us no matter where we went as in Italy it was very hot. from day one I carried a 2 litter bottle of water with me and even in Pompeii I felt like I drank like 3 gallons of water as there was barely any shade there. The sun was blaring on us and we were alll happy to have the water as we all would of been dehydrated. 

7. the very rich will want a litter or at least a sedan chair. (pg 10) 



On one of the days on the trip, we went to the island of Capri which was a very expensive place and we even had to pay to take a seat at the beach, it cost 20 euros just to have a beach chair. Glad I don't mind sitting on the ground. 

8. the type of housing, quality of neighborhood, distance to the sanitary facilities, and how far you are prepared to walk anywhere interesting or important are all vital considerations (pg25) 



Staying in Rome we already knew where we were staying and it was a beautiful hotel that had a good size bathroom for doubles and good rooms for singles. we were prepared for the long nights where we needed rest and glad to be in the center of Rome where it was easy to get to some places. 

9.Romans have a habit of sitting cesspits uncomfortably close to wells so it will come as a relief to know that the Rome itself has an extensive sewer system which is regularly flushed with wastewater from the aqueducts. (pg 34)


All over Rome was clean water and from fountains, you could get the water or even from the bathrooms or sinks. the water was cleat and healthy that you never worry about thirst and it tasted so clean and was just beautiful to look at. 

10.) Food is important to the Romans and the taking of it generally is a social occasion ( Pg 39)

This was why the meals I ate with a friend and I always went out to eat with said friend because in Rome it was safer to be with someone else but I always enjoyed those meals with her and was grateful to have someone to eat with. we even went out for drinks and enjoy each others company in a country we've never been in before but together we were happy to explore it and even be social with other people we didn’t know. 

11. Since someone worked out how to blow glass in the mid 1st century AD, glassware has become increasingly common for drinking vessels (pg 45)

At the museum the group went to with me we saw these beautiful fetuses of superheroes and being in this style of glass made it stand out as it sparkled inside of it and the lighting from under it immediate look even more eye catching. I felt like if it wasn't in this structure it wouldn't stand out as much but being in this crystallized formation made it where it caught your eye to look at to understand better to know what's going on and the artist who designed this was really thoughtful and has a beautiful and creative mind think of something like this.

12. Since the government of Rome is considered only with public order…(pg 74)

all over Rome there were areas that seem to have more important where people like this were standing with big guns and military outfits. at times there wasn't places where the police was but there were certainly these military people who stood guard at important buildings to keep people in line and location safe.

13. through much appreciated by the intelligentsia drama in Rome is something of a Cinderella as an entertainment form (pg 90)


This was a theater in Ostia that I found amazing to look at and to experience myself as I never understood or even believes that without a microphone you could be heard. but a friend and I tested it out and it was like a fairy tale how realistic it then became from the top of the stairs to the bottom of the stage we could hear one other without screaming.

14. Rome swarms with gods not only does the Rome religion have hundreds of them but every nation including Jews, Arabs, Germans, Spaniards, and Britons have each imported their own (pg 96)


On my last day in Rome I went out to eat with my cousin and she showed me these two famous Catholic churches side by side that I thought were beautiful to look at. I unfortunately missed when we went to a Catholic Church and went to see the Pope but being able to see these churches own my on were amazing because churches here aren't these beautiful buildings as they have in Italy. in Italy they have churches that are remarkable and really stand out making it feel more important than just what's in the inside and the people.

15. The baths are set in their own gardens is surrounded by sports facilities and libraries (pg126)


These is the gardens of Nero, they were said to be beautiful, he cared more about himself than his city, he had these gardens to the best they could be but, they were covered up to be the colosseum, then uncovered to see them and I wish the gardens were still here. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Class Discussion #2 - Nija Simmons

Capri was one of the most beautiful islands. I enjoyed listening to the sound of ocean waves. The water was turquoise and clear. I went swim...