Sunday, June 5, 2022

Ryan Blog Entry for the 31st

 The 31st was a day in which we were given the opportunity to freely flutter through florence, not attached to any group requirements, other than our departure time of 17:30. 

Having eaten a late night bowl of tiramisu the night prior, I evidently only had the ability to sleep for two hours. This was not the healthiest of sleeping practices but it allowed me to go to one of our groups photo session in Florence (mind you this occurred at the ungodly hour of 5:30). Though i felt like i had only slept for two hours, because i had only slept for two hours, this photo walk was still a memorable experience. Seeing the grand historical buildings and bridges of Florence mostly vacant from the chaos that occupies the street during the cities waking hours was surreal. it is powerful to experience a city of that age in this way; it feels as though the city has so much to say and you as an individual have to interpret it all.


 


After the photo session I went back to the hotel thinking I could get some rest, yet I could not seem to keep my eyes closed. the next few hours were spent in my hotel room as I attempted to process the many thoughts and feelings that were running through my mind as I interpreted the many voices of the city, until, finally, i ate breakfast and met up with Annie to go to the Galleria Accademia around 9.

Two hours of waiting is what it took for us to enter the Galleria without pre-purchased tickets, making us miss our time slot for the Uffizi Gallery which we had purchased the day prior. Though I would have loved to experience both museums, taking our time going through the Galleria Accademia allowed me to intake the art in a more thorough way. Not simply walking past and taking pictures but stopping and looking, truly looking, at the collection of the museum. The facial features and expressions of the David alone were enough to make this an enjoyable experience.

After the Galleria, Annie and I did some eating and shopping until we had to meet to depart back to Rome.



Being able to blossom off and explore Florence alone allowed me to enjoy both the serenity and the chaos of the city and the culture that is encompassed in it. It is hard to put into words the thoughts and feelings that arise from this but it is an experience I believe all people should have easy access to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Class Discussion #2 - Nija Simmons

Capri was one of the most beautiful islands. I enjoyed listening to the sound of ocean waves. The water was turquoise and clear. I went swim...