Sunday, June 12, 2022

June 5th Travel Blog


     June 5th was our last full day in Rome, and it definitely felt like the final day with the chaos that ensued in the morning. All I can really say to explain this chaos is to say that it involved a positive covid test. As most of us tested negative and had been relatively safe in terms of mitigating the risk of spread, we went about our day. 

    For most of the day, we split off into small groups, though a lot of us made a quick stop at a little flea market. Many, including myself, had decided that this was not the most savory of flea markets and hastily found our way out. After this, the group of four which included me went off to find a particular restaurant for lunch. Finding this particular restaurant, which I forget the name of, seemed to pose a challenge to us as we got a bit turned around. Getting lost in this instance was good fortune as we stumbled upon a street festival that was being held to benefit a local school program. It was one of the most charming and cheerful things I have seen with my own eyes; a puppet show (as poorly pictured), kids making art together, small vendors with neat toys and trinkets, and everyone genuinely enjoying their time. This and the lunch that followed really made me realize the aspect of social that I feel is missing in many ways in American society, or at least in the parts of American society that I have been exposed to. After having a nice salad (as poorly pictured) and a wonderful chat at lunch we went back to the hotel to rest before the whole group went to the Catacombs which was an interesting experience. Finally, we finished our day with a mediocre farewell dinner, which, luckily, was free. Ultimately,

this day helped me to look back on the trip which made me realize the importance of social; chatting with strangers, forming new friendships, maintaining old ones, seeing myself as a part of a larger social body yet being able to express my individuality. To end the day I got a little selfie in front of the Altar of the Fatherland to remember the final night.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Class Discussion #2 - Nija Simmons

Capri was one of the most beautiful islands. I enjoyed listening to the sound of ocean waves. The water was turquoise and clear. I went swim...